Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Life of a Recession

Fire of Liberty

As I was doing my daily readings today, I came across a link to a blog post over at Reason's Hit & Run by Nick Gillespie which points an excellent chart prepared by author/economist Bruce Bartlett that shows how the government has generally passed anti-recession legislation("stimulus" in our case) right after or shortly after the recession comes to an end. Here's a look:

bbc

I realize that Bartlett has the added benefit of hindsight in constructing his chart, but the simple fact is that he makes a good observation on the fact that our political leaders push through legislation in a hurry to demonstrate that they're "doing something" even when they probably should cool their jets and study a proper course in relieving the recession. I'd be nice if we have a larger sample of politicians who think real hard about the consequences of their actions before they act. I just hope we survive financially after the passage of this monster of a "stimulus bill" Congress just pushed through.(Here's hoping the GOP and others vote no on final passage.)

No comments: