Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Lesser Known But Important Founding Father

Fire of Liberty
While tons of books and articles have been written on Founding Fathers like George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, there hasn't been many things written on the lesser known John Witherspoon. According to this piece by Roger Kimball over at OpinionJournal(WSJ's free opinion page), Witherspoon was the only minister to sign the Declaration of the Independence but he was also a talented administrator of Princeton University who was a noteworthy scholar of freedom and liberty in the ranks of political philosophers like Hume, Locke and Adam Smith. So if you want to learn a little bit on John Witherspoon then I suggest you read this wonderful piece by Kimball. You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

shliknik said...

maybe I should've added him to my Flagpole cover!

jstarley05 said...

I think you'd stump me with a illustration of him.