Friday, December 02, 2005

An Epic Fight between Good and Evil

Fire of Liberty
"Now that I am 50 I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness."
--C.S. Lewis


Though I noted in a previous post that I'm waiting to see Peter Jackson's forthcoming version of King Kong next week, it pales in comparison to how much I'm anticipating the release of Disney's film adaptation of C.S. Lewis's epic series The Chronicles of Narnia:The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe(TLTWTW). If you liked LOTR with its epic battles of Middle Earth, the fight between the forces of good (Hobbits, Humans, Elves, Gandolph, Emps) versus the forces of evil (Sauron, Sarumon, Orcs, Wraiths) then you'll enjoy TLTWTW with its coverage of the fight between the evil White Witch who has turned Narnia into her wintry hell and the Christ-like Lion Aslan and his loyal following that includes four children from Earth. While I'm no scholar of C.S. Lewis or his work, I still know about his works and writings and since I'm a Science Fiction/Fantasy/Mythical movie junkie I know when I see a flop and see something that has legs. From what I've read and have seen about the movie, I believe that Disney will see some LOTR like numbers out of this movie and expect the sequels to do the same as well. For those who want to dwell more into the world of Narnia and how some individuals have tried to but failed to tarnish the great work of C.S. Lewis, then you should check out this piece by Michael Nelson over at the Chronicle of Higher Education or if you want to read more about C.S. Lewis the man and his inspiration then read this piece here.

My best advice is for ya'll to go out and watch this great movie and feel free to immerse yourself into the wardrobe and get lost in Narnia. One has to look real hard to find a decent movie out of all the sludge that is being produced in the studios and I think TLTWTW is a bright and shining gem. What's even better is that the same person who made Shrek and Shrek 2 is the same guy behind the camera on TLTWTW, so expect another masterful picture when you go to the theater. So do yourself a favor and go see this excellent movie.

No comments: