Thursday, April 19, 2007

Stick To You're Guns

Fire of Liberty

As a huge fan of the Second Amendment and believer that it is our God given right to own firearms in order to protect yourself and your family from being robbed or killed, I have to scratch my head when politicians and members of the media started calling for stricter gun control laws on everyday Americans after the massacre at Virginia Tech. While I'm no expert on crime prevention, I can attest, from living in a house and a community of gun owners, that the likelihood of a gun wielding wacko or a thief entering my house and gunning down my family down is greatly diminished due to the fact that they're not so sure if they enter my house or my neighbor if they won't get blasted away by a snub nose .38 or 9mm. Now while liberals might scoff at this, I think it is high time we lessen these horrific gun restrictions on college campuses and cities, which do nothing but prevent law-abiding citizens from practicing self-defense against whacked-out gunmen. Though all of these slayings might not have been prevented, I can bet that the body count would have been minute if some student or professor had a gun in their possession at the time of the shooting. If you want a more detailed look at this argument then I suggest you read this wonderful piece by syndicated columnist Michelle Malkin and this one by Mark Steyn.

*Also, check out John Lott's fine book More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun-Control Laws, and Clayton E. Cramer's Armed America: The Remarkable Story of How and Why Guns Became as American as Apple Pie for more.

No comments: