Friday, May 20, 2005

A Un-yielding Faith in God

Fire of Liberty

If you recall from my pre-UK election coverage, I wrote about the savage attack on Abigail Witchalls, well it seems that she is slowly recovering from her injuries and has placed a considerable amount of her recovery is due to her faith in God. I found this tid-bit from a wonderful post by John Derbyshire over at The Corner:
THE STRENGTH OF FAITH [John Derbyshire]
To those readers who are perfectly irreligious and can't see the point at all, as well as to those (ahem) who see the point but aren't as pious as they wish they were, I commend this piece from the Daily Telegraph.

What happened to Mrs. Witchalls is about as bad as a thing can be. Her faith is seeing her through it with a smile and words of forgiveness.

I swear this must be constitutional. I could no more exhibit that kind of spiritual strength than I could run 100 meters in 9.4 seconds, or solve the Riemann Hypothesis, or play the fiddle like Jascha Heifetz. I know a lot of you disagree, but I line up with Tom Utley here. Admire? Sure. Emulate? No way.

(And, as a matter of fact, even my admiration is a bit qualified -- not so far as Mrs. Witchalls's ability to handle the situations, which is a shining example to us all, but in regard to the turn-the-other-cheek stuff. I think the bastard who did that should swing for it. In fact, it seems he has already committed suicide, which is better than he deserves.)
Posted at 03:16 PM
Here's the piece that Derbyshire mentioned in his post. You might need to register at The Daily Telegraph but see if you can get through. It's a great piece, that everyone should read.

No comments: